Fiorentina captain and defender Davide Astori died of a sudden illness on Sunday morning at the age of 31, the Serie A club said, leaving Italian football in a state of shock.Serie A announced that all of Sunday’s matches, including the derby between AC Milan and Inter Milan, would be postponed.“Fiorentina is deeply upset to have to announce that its captain Davide Astori has passed away, victim of a sudden illness,” said the statement.“Due to the terrible and delicate situation, and above all for the respect of his family, an appeal is made to everyone’s sensibility.”Italian media said that Astori was found dead in his hotel room.Astori joined Fiorentina on loan in August 2015 and the club signed him outright one year later. He previously spent six seasons at Cagliari and one on loan at AS Roma.He made 14 appearances for Italy between 2012 and 2017.“It seems impossible. I’m in a state of disbelief and I cry with his family and all for Fiorentina. Goodbye captain,” said former Italy Prime Minister Matteo Renzi.In announcing the postponement of Sunday’s games, Serie A said: “Shocked by the tragic news, the whole family of the Lega Serie A unites around the family of Davide Astori and Fiorentina FC.”AC Milan coach Gennaro Gattuso had asked before the announcement for all games to be called off. “I can’t think of the derby after a tragedy like that,” he said on Twitter.
MONACO (AP): Former European champions Benfica, PSV Eindhoven and Red Star Belgrade advanced to the Champions League group stage yesterday, while Salzburg were eliminated in the play-offs for the fifth time in nine years after wasting a two-goal lead. Salzburg’s quest to join Europe’s elite under long-time financial backer Red Bull was in sight when they led Red Star 2-0 with 30 minutes to play in the second-leg game in Austria. It all changed in a 75-second burst as the Serbian champion’s El Fardou Ben Nabouhane scored twice with close-range finishes. The forward’s goals sent the 1991 European Cup winners through on away goals with a 2-2 aggregate score. Red Star will be playing in the group stage for the first time in the 27-season Champions League era. Two-time champions Benfica and 1988 European Cup winners PSV had an easier time to advance. Benfica won 4-1 at PAOK Thessaloniki to go through 5-2 in aggregate, and PSV beat BATE Borisov 3-0 for a 6-2 aggregate score. After a 1-1 draw in Lisbon last week, Benfica looked to be in trouble when they trailed to a 13th-minute goal by PAOK’s Aleksandar Prijovic. Benfica hit back with three goals in a 19-minute spell before half-time from Jardel, Eduardo Salvio and Pizzi. Salvio added a fourth in the second half for the 1961 and ’62 champions. The result means that Benfica will be among the second-seeded teams in today’s group-stage draw and pushed last season’s runners-up Liverpool down into the third-seeded pot that also contains PSV. The Dutch champions join compatriots Ajax in the draw after easing past BATE, with Steven Bergwijn, Luuk de Jong and Mexico winger Hirving Lozano scoring the goals. Salzburg seemed finally destined for the group stage after forward Munas Dabbur netted a brace either side of half-time. The second came from a penalty that seemed harshly awarded when Hannes Wolf was tackled after cleanly getting off his shot. Though Salzburg have won nine Austrian titles since being taken over and rebranded by energy drink maker Red Bull in 2005, they always failed to get through the Champions League qualifying rounds. The six play-off losers enter the Europa League group-stage draw to be held tomorrow in Monaco.
Dear Editor,It is obvious that sugar as a traditional pillar of the Guyana economy is now at its cross roads. Hopefully not the end of the road. I write because of the heated conversation now taking place regarding the past, present and future of this historical commodity which featured prominently in our social history, our economic survival, even our political development.At a recent meeting held between the Management of GuySuCo and the three unions representing the employees, NAACIE, GLU and GAWU, made my view that Guyana, because of politics and international control, is once again heading down a very dark financial path. I am totally aware that sugar would have been the first significant economic venture on a massive scale to bring foreign capital to Guyana’s economy centuries ago. Naturally, Guyana’s sugar also sustained positive economic development in other countries including Britain which continued to be great because of this colonial crop.I know that small producers worldwide were forced to get rid of exchanging raw sugar for hard currency for various reasons, but the decision by the European Union in 2007 to Arbitrarily revise the Cotonou Agreement and reduce export of sugar from the ACP Sugar Producing Countries, while also reducing the price they pay for the commodity would have caused a great burden on countries that could not get rid of the commodity for other hard currency earners. Guyana included.My conviction is presently with the announcement made by the authorities about preparing to “live without sugar” which has placed the Managers of the Sugar Corporations in a different mode to the point of destructive behaviour. My own view is that the ailing industry is being positioned into a place whereby we will not be able to purchase machinery, not only for sugar, but for other employment and whereas we once again restrict basic goods and services as in the unholy late seventies, early eighty’s. The cold war and its repercussions for our own policies and economic stagnation are long over.The September 29, 2016 meeting between the sugar corporation and the three unions in my view portrayed fear and anxiety for the administration by persons whose lives depended on sugar production and sale.The message to the workers (again my view) should be that we all are in this together and we all have to live or die together. We do not have enough money, and where will we get the money from, should encourage reasonable discussions. It will be wrong for me not to suggest a way out, especially knowing that this situation is a result of the decisions by the European Union affecting the Cotonou Agreement and coupled with the administration actions to deal with it.Where we are looking for an alternative for the receipt of foreign currency through labour, we should give the sugar corporation assistance, through Government, for a chance to work. The billions that the 18-month-old APNU/AFC Government has had to inject into the industry are indeed a significant sum from tax payers. But I, as a representative Unionist, am directly impacted, and as a tax payer and patriotic citizen, call for added assistance from the Government for many reasons. This includes the fact that a sugar levy once bailed us all out. And any sudden immediate demise of the sugar industry will cause a national economic chaos that will engulf us all. Those funds could be found if much more scientific scrutiny would be paid to the bleeding of revenues from our gold through smuggling, through bauxite earnings and through foreign employers who alone set prices claiming international market realities.GuySuCo’s workers might be underpaid and underperforming because of low morale born of the Government’s dire predictions and actions. We will certainly be spending much more to bring in less foreign exchange if this trend is not stopped urgently.Incidentally, has the Foreign Service thrust at economic diplomacy started? Are diplomats marketing and selling our rice, sugar and timber aggressively as yet?Make the only decision necessary Mr President, find finance to keep a reformed industry alive and refreshed. I see no ready agricultural alternatives, except in urgent talks. Besides finance, programmes must be launched to create ‘new day farmers’ provided with land technical assistance and technology.Meanwhile, I look forward to see a re-oriented GuySuCo sending committed managers into the fields and factories among the workers. The Unions stand ready to play their part. It is certainly decision time.Sincerely,Kenneth JosephGeneral SecretaryNAACIE
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Women’s Resource Society received a fairly large donation recently.The $20,000 cheque came from Inland Heidelberg Cement Group. Ryan Shumaker, Operations Manager of Lehigh Hanson Materials and staff were thanked by the Women’s Resource Society for the generous donation.Phallon Stoutenburg with the Women’s Resource Society says the money will be used to help those in the community and continue to help with overhead costs of the Society.- Advertisement –
FORT ST. JOHN B.C. – The Fort St. John and District Chamber of Commerce is seeking a qualified member of the chamber to serve a two-year term on the Board of Directors starting in the 2018/2019 year.Benefits to serving as a Director, are to hold a leadership role in the community, creating new ideas that will affect the Fort St. John region and the opportunity to attract new and sustainable businesses.Duties as the candidate include attending monthly meetings, be a member of at least one committee and attending chamber functions such as mixers, luncheons and special events.- Advertisement -Chamber of Commerce is a not-for-profit organization comprised of businesses, professionals, residents and community groups working together to ensure a healthy economic and socio-economic base to benefit the entire community.If you are interested in making a nomination or entering your name, call the office at 250.785.6037 or Email firstname.lastname@example.orgYou can also visit their website; https://fsjchamber.com/Advertisement
One of Sham’s opponents in District 1, Alexander Rosas, said he remained skeptical about the incident. “I would rather any candidate \ during the day… when others can actually see what you’re doing,” Rosas said. Rosas said he was initially told by a supporter that the sign Chan was holding was his, but said he has been unable to confirm that. Sham said he believes the lack of charges exonerates him and Chan from the allegations. However, he said he continues to take issue with the way the incident was handled, including how long it took to process Chan and what he describes as the officers’ refusal to listen to his explanations. “They asked me to sit down on the curb, like a criminal,” said Sham, who filed a complaint with the department on Thursday. email@example.com (626) 578-6300, Ext. 4586 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORECalifornia’s bungled $1 billion accounting system Ayala said he “just smiled” when he was told that the sign in question was his. “It was considered petty theft, and I think it was pretty petty,” he said. “I chose not to file charges because it’s really not something I want to focus on right now.” Sham, who was present during Chan’s 1 a.m. arrest, has said the two of them were simply replacing his own worn campaign signs. They were straightening out other signs as a courtesy, he said. Police have previously declined to release further information, including whether other signs were found in Sham’s car, citing confidentiality concerns in the investigation. On Monday, Alhambra police Chief James Hudson again declined comment, citing an ongoing administrative investigation into the officers involved in the incident. ALHAMBRA – The District Attorney’s Office has declined to file charges against a man arrested on suspicion of stealing a campaign lawn sign. The decision was made because of insufficient evidence and because the owner of the sign did not want to press charges, said Jane Robison, spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office. Kwan Chan, 24, a volunteer campaign worker for District 1 candidate Stephen Sham, was arrested on suspicion of petty theft early Wednesday after an officer on patrol saw him holding a City Council candidate’s sign in front of a Valley Boulevard office building, police have said. The sign belonged to District 5 candidate Luis Ayala, who is not running against Sham in the Nov. 7 elections.
This Wednesday morning on Sportsday we bring you your essential round-up of the morning’s top sports stories.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREPhotos: At LA County Jail, Archbishop José H. Gomez celebrates Christmas Mass with inmatesEnterprise zones provide employers with credits of $31,000 a year for each new job created for five years as well as other incentives to open and remain in business. Under state law, enterprise zones are required to have 51 percent of the property within it zoned for commercial or industrial use. The problem with the Valley zone is it has fallen below that ratio because of the amount of land converted to housing or used for schools or other public buildings. A similar problem could impact the other enterprise zones in the city, officials said. The state has been more diligent in reviewing enterprise zones, officials said, partly as a way to reduce its expenses and bring in more revenue. firstname.lastname@example.org (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Los Angeles city officials began developing alternative plans Friday for ways to keep the San Fernando Valley’s only enterprise zone operating beyond its scheduled end this year. Councilman Tony Cardenas, who represents most of the Northeast Valley area affected by the plan, convened a meeting that included aides to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, Councilman Alex Padilla and various city agencies to plan their next move. “I am calling for emergency legislation to allow this enterprise zone to continue,” Cardenas said. “We can’t sit still. We must aggressively seek relief from the state so we don’t undermine our economic development.” If an extension is not granted, aides said the councilman is looking at other options, including redrawing of the zone’s boundaries or a change in state legislation to allow it to remain in operation.
Livingston’s reward for beating Celtic Colts 5-1 is an away trip to Northern Ireland to take on Crusaders. The Crues are the reigning league champions and currently sit top of the table with 14 points from their opening six matches.Elsewhere Hibernian take on St Mirren, Dunfermline host Queen’s park, Ayr United and Falkirk meet at Somerset Park and Stranraer have been paired with Dundee United.The ties will be played on October 8 and 9. Queen of the South will take on Linfield of Northern Ireland in the fourth round of the Challenge Cup.The Scottish Championship outfit will host last season NIFL Premiership runners-up at Palmerston Park as teams from both Northern Ireland and Wales enter the competition for the first time.Linfield, managed by David Healy, lost 7-0 to Rangers in a friendly match on Saturday.Scottish League 1 leaders Alloa face a trip to Wales to take on Bala Town while Forfar host The New Saints.
“Omni Users.” It’s a term used by IDG as part of a campaign with CompuCom to describe today’s breed of powerusers. These are users who are most comfortable with the latest technology, whether they are on their job or off. Omni users know how to bend technology to make whatever they do efficient and they are demanding in the hardware and software which they use. Supporting omni users has become a daunting task for IT because it requires support for a wide variety of hardware, networks, platforms and applications. “Bring Your Own Device” policies are only one small piece of the challenge. The benefits of enabling technology for omni users is tangible. The IDG report that 61 percent of businesses with a friendly policy to provide even basic support for omni users resulted a 61 percent increase in productivity and 19 percent increase in employee collaboration, with better employee retention, and lower operating expenses and costs. The report suggests that going beyond and providing for a higher-level of support beyond basic support for omni users would unlock even greater benefits. The CompuCom report concludes that “to fully support omni users, organizations must embrace a culture of innovation, increase automation and outsourcing of IT, and give employees more influence over corporate solutions. If they do, they stand to achieve gains in employee productivity and satisfaction, and to ultimately set new trends in their industries, rather than be the ones chasing them.”